Thursday, October 30, 2008

There's no moral to this story, just so you know.

I love this body-laptop interface. Read more about it here. It reminds me of a little story I'd like to tell...
Once upon a time, I went to a design show. It was probably at MOMA, but I can't say for sure. It must have been at least 10 years ago. They had vacuum cleaners and tape dispensers and best of all, COCOONS! Cocoons. Big white, full body cocoons- a place for you to get away from it all in the midst of, well, everything. There were photographs of people walking down busy city streets, armed with the knowledge that their personal space would not be infringed upon while safely encased inside their cocoon. There was a travel sized cocoon and a picture of someone sitting in a crowded subway train popping on their cocoon headpiece. This cocoon idea has stuck with me, and since moving to New York a couple years ago, I've created my own "iPod and sunglasses" cocoon that I rarely leave home without. (Although lately my cocoon is proving pretty much completely ineffective as I am asked for directions on an almost daily basis and am coerced into taking out an earbud to hear where people are trying to go. I'm not complaining, I think its a good thing that I look approachable. It's better than looking scary, but really, do I look like I know my way around?? ) Oh yay! I just googled around a bit after writing this and I think I found the cocoons I was talking about! Click on the pictures for more info. This cocoon chair is by Jennie Pineas from Scotland.

2 comments:

  1. cocoons are super cool! plus added bonus, you'd look like a dallop of cream!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute! I love the idea. (I had one about invisible force fields when talking on cell phones, but this way, no one should even think about bothering you...)

    ReplyDelete

I like it when people leave comments.