Sunday, September 14, 2008

My mama is coming to town!

I still have not tried durian, but a while ago, while perusing the aisles of my local grocery store, these durian flavored wafer cookies caught my eye. They were only $1.49 and I love wafer cookies, their artificial sweetness and flaky deliciousness that at the same time crunches and melts in your mouth is always so wonderful, so I bought them. (yay!) I by no means expected them be a good indicator of what durian actually tastes like , but you know, baby steps.
I brought them home, opened up the package, and was immediately blown away by the stench!!! Oh my goodness, it smelled so BAD!!! Now, I've heard over and over that durian is the stinkiest fruit around, but WHY ON EARTH would someone make a cookie smell like one?? Geez Louise. I ate one- it tasted fine, nothing remarkable- sort of like a less sweet normal wafter cookie. But the SMELL! Wowzers!
I had to go to work so I put them away in a big zip lock bag and was off.
That night my roommate, Sigrid, wanted something sweet. Durian cookies! The enormous smile on my face as I offered her the bag led her to believe something was up. I instantly cracked and admitted they had an atrocious smell. She instinctively opened the bag, took a big swiff and started yelling. Kelan, my other roommate, offered me $1.50 to throw them out. I said "no" but when I could smell them the next morning as soon as I opened my bedroom door, I agreed to bring them to my dads house.

My little sister was excited to see them! She loves wafer cookies too! She said she thought the smell was a gas leak. She took a bite and ran away.

On a side note, my mama is visiting today! She's going with me to Metalliferous tomorrow so I can stock up on supplies for CRAFTLAND! And I'm sure we'll be eating at all sorts of wonderful places too! Yay!

3 comments:

  1. You have a talent, you can write very well :D
    Funny post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is hilarious! Durians are very smelly and the fruit itself is indeed an acquired taste. Actually the latin meaning of Durian is Rotting civet cats, the Dutch really did not care for them! (I read that in a national geographic, yay knowledge!) I love your blog and etsy, thought I'd drop by and say hi since I saw you hearted me! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

I like it when people leave comments.