Sunday, September 28, 2008

Prickly Pear and The Omnivores' Hundred

Also when my mom was in town a couple of weeks ago, I bought this "cactus pear" which I'm pretty sure is the same thing as prickly pear. 3/$1 at the same grocery store that I found the Malta. I think I may have forgotten to read the instructions on this because, while it tasted pretty good- it was sweet like honeydew, it had soooo many seeds that I didn't know what to do. I ended up sort of just mashing it around in my mouth and spitting it out. That can't be right, right? I'd try it again if someone told me what to do with it.


The Omnivores' Hundred. So exciting! (For me anyway.) I came across "The Omnivore's Hundred" on Chocolate and Zucchini's blog the other day. So now I think rather than picking random edible things to try each week until I finally have my "things that I don't know what they are dinner", I'm going to see what from that list I have yet to try, and try those things first. It'll be like a food scavenger hunt. And durian IS on that list! Hooray! I'll post my list next week though. You'll have to wait :P

3 comments:

  1. i've had prickly pear in a drink before, but never actually seen one, neat! Not sure on the seeds issue... have you heard of fruit species blog?
    http://fruitspecies.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. no, I hadn't heard of that blog before- thank you!

    ReplyDelete

I like it when people leave comments.