While walking though Chinatown about a year ago, I noticed huge sea urchin looking things hanging from nets above the produce stands along the sidewalk. I assumed they were some kind of melon, but I couldn't be sure. (I guess I should note that I don't really know what a sea urchin actually looks like... why don't I find out from wikipedia?)
Anyway, a few days later I passed another stand with these same hanging sea urchin fruits, but this time a long line of people had formed and a man was ladling strange yellow fetus looking things into plastic bags, weighing them, and then handing them over to the anxious shoppers.
Hmmm...
At the sight of this, I realized there must be about a million edible things that I have never seen before, let alone tasted. I was struck with a sudden urgency to get started! Thus, the idea to throw a dinner party made with only "things that I don't know what they are" was born.
Fast forward to now: I still have not had my "things that I don't know what they are" dinner. Previous planning attempts did not pan out well. Friends and family apparently were not as excited about having possibly the most delicious/most revolting dinner ever as me. But things have changed! (I'm pretty sure I have worn them down!) This dinner WILL happen!
However, until it does, I plan to introduce myself to one edible thing that I've never had before each week. (and I'll write about it on Sundays perhaps?)
Oh! Also, the website is back up again! I'm still working on pictures, but I decided I shouldn't stress about it.
Go ahead, take a look---> sarustar.com
AHAH durians!!! you either love it or hate it.
ReplyDeleteI. LOVE. IT!!!
uh. those are durian.
ReplyDeletehttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Durian
you want to stay away from those. trust me on this.